Today I went to the library for internet. I sat down at the only table with outlets, meant for computer usage. It fit four people and I was the 4th person. I was using a paper and pencil calendar and was also using my laptop. A guy diagonal from me said, “Interesting how with all this technology, we still sometimes use the traditional calendars.” I had various ways I could've responded and decided to be a bit conversational by saying, “Yes, it's a calendar that teachers use." Apparently that was an open invitation to converse for an indefinite amount of time. He proceeded to continuously bother me by making random comments about random things. He even showed me his computer screen and wanted me to look at some picture of some guy holding a bag of money. “Who cares!” I thought. About 30 minutes pass and the man sitting next to me got up and left. So Diagonal Guy started to shove his laptop over to the empty space (to be able to sit next to me), just at the same time, a new person was going to sit down and take the empty spot. Diagonal Guy said, “Oh I'm going to sit there.” I was quickly trying to think of something to say, (anything!), to get the new person to take the seat and prevent the Diagonal Guy from sitting next to me. I was trying to channel my thoughts: NO, SIT HERE! PLEASE! PROTECT ME! Unfortunately, my mind was too slow to think of something appropriate enough to say aloud and Diagonal Guy sat down next to me. He assumed I was a teacher and asked me more annoying questions.
About 20 minutes pass. He asked, “How long you going to be here? Want to have some coffee after this?”
“No.”
He pressed further, “Then where do you want to go?”
OMG!! At that moment he earned the name “Creepy.” What part of 'no' did he not understand?
I said, “No where. I don't want to go anywhere with you.”
Quiet. Then he said, “Wow, that's a dis.”
Me, “Well, I just want to be straight forward.”
Quiet. Then he was pissed. Angry mumblings from him, “I used to be a DJ in Spain. I don't need advice on how to date. Blah blah blah...Do you know who I am?”
Many minutes pass.
I was snacking on crackers. He says, “Those are crackers, huh? They're healthy, huh? But a little salty?” OMG, he's watching me! That's when I realized he can see my computer screen. My resume's up and he can see my full name, address, phone number, my friends' names (I'm on gmail, too)...3 weeks in NY and I found myself a stalker?! Should I leave? NO! I came here to do some work and I'm gonna do some work, dangit! I'm not gonna let some creep chase me away.
Time passed and I was getting work done. Still, my mind was thinking. I was really hoping someone I knew would walk by. Haha, what are the chances of that, being that I barely know that many people here. I even texted one of my friends to see if he was nearby, no such luck. Since I had eaten crackers, I guess was subconsciously kinda running my tongue along my teeth and he leaned over, “Something wrong with your tongue?” EW!! It had been a good 30 minutes and after all that time, he was STILL watching me?!
Later, when I was telling this story to my roommate, she asked me, why didn't you say really loudly, “Leave me alone! I have a boyfriend!” Gee, what a good idea! Why the heck didn't I think of that? Idk! haha
Later, Creepy spied another girl at the table next to us and got up to talk to her twice. She smiled and they had a nice conversations in Spanish. WTH? How come he has to be Creepy with me? And normal with her? Do I just bring it out in people?
About an hour or two later, the library made the announcement that they were going to close. I decided to leave when there were still people around and the library wasn't deserted yet. So I packed up and booked it out of there. Funny thing is there are soo many people walking around in the streets. Nothing to be worried about. I got home ok and there haven't been any suspicious activity in the past few days. Whew...sigh of relief.
…....................................................................
I responded to a Craig's List posting, looking for a tutor. The guy is from Florida, but living in Scotland with his wife and children. His 14 year old son was going to be in the states for a month. He wanted me to tutor him in English, Math and Physics, one hour, three times a week, for one month. We corresponded about three times and in each of his emails, his grammar got noticeably worse and worse. Dude, I'll throw in a bonus and tutor you and your son! Haha. I emailed him my tutor rates and he agreed to pay me up front for one month. I found it a bit strange to commit for one month even before one session. He barely asked me questions about academics and seemed to not care that I told him TWICE that I specialize in only english and math. Another strange thing, he was going to have a third party pay me. Per his instuctions, I was to use the money to purchase materials, then return left over money to his child's nanny. What?! I did not understand, especially with his poor grammar, it was so confusing. So the last correspondence was my email sent to him stating that typically I tutor one session, before we commit to any long term arrangements and pay is normally bi-weekly, instead of monthly. Plus I asked for clarification on his strange method of payment. Never heard from him again.
Guess what? It's a scam! The link below describes the scam to the exact details! Scroll down to #4 to see the email that I received.
No comments:
Post a Comment