Monday, March 16, 2008
I went to Brooklyn with my roommate and her friend. Hmm...you think it'd be ok if I started calling her my friend too? Brooklyn's different from the city. It's cute. It's a bit quieter, more residential areas, less tall buildings, more brownstones. People talk about this energy in the city (where I live) and it's true. The streets are noisy with traffic and the sidewalks full of people walking hurriedly. It's cool, but it's very nice to get away. I'm think I'm a suburbs girl at heart. We just walked around, window shopped. Stupidly, we had some fro-yo. After that, we walked outside and it was so cold, I thought my head was going to explode. Seriously, some of you may not understand that feeling, but my roommate did. We walked to S'Nice (sandwich/bakery/coffee shop), in search of warm drinks. I had some hot apple cider and it was wonderful. It thawed out my limbs.
Then we went to Target. There aren't any in Manhattan (where I live). The closest one is a good 35-40 minutes away, by subway, in Brooklyn. We were quite excited to visit. Next to it is Buffalo Bills Wild Wings. YUM!!! 44 cent wings on Tuesday nights. (Alex and my favorite things to eat on Tuesday nights. But not Kathy. Ask her where she gets her wings.) It seemed like everyone in NY went to Target that night. Checkout lines #1-22 all long and slow.
After dinner, I went out to a club with a friend. It was her friend's friend's birthday party. I was a bit apprehensive of going out without my usual party peeps. Cuz no one has a good time like we do, right chicas?! But in the name of new adventures, I've started a new attitude: who cares who else goes or what the circumstance is, “I'm gonna have me a good time, no matter what.” Before I leave the house, I declare it, check my attitude and am out the door. So far it's worked. Luckily, my friend also likes to dance, so it was really fun. Truly fun. Not fun-because-I-stayed-positive fun. My post-club eateries have evolved through the years. In college, after going out, we'd go to Dennys. After college, when I moved back to the SGV area, we'd hit up the Asian cafes or the bacon wrapped hotdogs in LA. In NYC, you know where people go? They get Middle Eastern food! They have carts/stands and there are lines and lines. (6th and 53rd) It reminded me a bit of Pinks. You get this round aluminum dish of steaming hot rice and chicken or lamb. (You don't eat meat? Ok I make you lamb. Oompa!) There's a white sauce and a FIREY red hot sauce. Mix it all up and OMFG (oh my freakin goodness) it was sooo good. Idk, (I dunno or I don't know) maybe it was because I was starving or maybe it was THAT good. It hit the spot. Took a cab home and nighty night!
I won't tell you what I did Sunday, cuz it's just gonna be too long. Oh ok, I want to. Just don't read it or skim if you want. For those of you reading it and made it thus far...thanks! Woke up to go to church and was soo tired. Church starts at 10:30. One hour earlier than what I'm accustomed to at Evergreen. Man that one hour makes a huge difference. Probably doesn't help that I got in bed late the night before. Haha. Church was good. Worship is wonderful. I'm in awe of musicians and what they can create. It was such a treat at Evergreen when Ian or Christiana played the violin. Here at TGC (Trinity Grace Church) there has been a cello for the past three Sundays that I've attended. I love it.
After church we went to Babycakes. YUM! Delicious desserts. The owner was on Martha Stewart!
For dinner I had Italian at friend's apartment. For dessert, we had coffee ice cream and Beard Papa's and cheesecake. HAHA, no Pearlin, I don't have a sweet tooth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
BIG WANG's!! $.25 wings on Tuesdays!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!!
Fro-yo. Did you make that term up? I like it. You can add that one to the mo-pho (mobile phone). Q: What are you doing? A: I'm having a fro-yo while talking on my mo-pho, yo.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying your new experience. Sounds like the summer you spent with Cyndy, Mike, and Kathy. Take care and hope you find something!
LOL - I think it's funny that you spell out what your acronym stands for...doesn't that defeat the purpose of an acronym??
ReplyDeleteI hope you are able to find a job soon Amanda, however I'm glad to read that you're enjoying your down time! I wake up around 9am each morning too (shhh, don't tell mike haha), so I know that wonderful feeling!
Looking forward to seeing you next week. Have a great time at the conference!