Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Good bye Midtown, Hello Upper West Side

In January 09, when I decided to move to nyc, I knew the apartment lease would end on Aug 1. So my earliest return to CA could be August, but after being here for five months, I’m not finished with my nyc adventure yet and want to continue my love-hate relationship with the city. Although I miss CA and all my family and friends so so much, I’ve decided to stay here at least until December. Especially since I still haven’t found something in publishing, I feel like nothing’s really holding me here. Shhhh…wanna know a secret? Don’t tell anyone but, now that I’ve been away for this long, I’m almost hoping nothing will come through and tie me down. That way, I can come back to CA next year. But in the meantime, I explored my housing options and looked at a few different apartments. I felt very blessed that God provided me with so many choices because at one point, my roommate and I were worried that we’d be homeless.

Finally I narrowed it down to two:

current place:
-AWESOME apt and location (clean, spacious, safe, nice, beautiful, etc) - I love it
-cheaper if I stay only thru jan 2010
-eaiser, don’t have to move
-have to go through trouble w/ finding a 3rd roommate (the one that I share room w/ is moving out)
-unknown what my 3rd roommate will be like
-most people I know live closer to here

new place:
-hassle to move, including moving expenses
-cheaper if only I stay beyond Jan
-I’d be rooming w/ Y (from CMA) and Carol. We have so many mutual CA and NY friends and so many people have told me it’ll probably be fun and would have good community.
-location is only ok, it may slightly hinder my social life at night if I don’t feel comfy taking the train home at night and would have to pay for taxi. but during the day, I’d get to explore a new neighborhood

After great comtemplation, I decided to…drumroll…move! It was definitely an experience. I would never wish upon anyone to move during a thuderstorm! Imagine wearing rainboots to stay dry, but getting sticky and sweaty from heavy humidity. Luckily my old apartment building had an awning, so my things didn’t get really wet as we loaded into the rented U-Haul cargo van. And my new apartment is on the first floor, so unloading was very quick. Thank God for the very kind friends who helped me!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Hooray for kind ppl and rainboots and stuff like that:) Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete