Monday, March 16, 2009
I've been in NY for 3 weeks now. I wake up around 9ish and get up after my roommate leaves for work. As she gets ready for work, I feel like a bum, lying in bed, wrapped up in my lovely down comforter. But deep down, I am slightly glad I can technically get up whenever I want (shhhh...don't tell employers). I might go on a run or do some pilates or yoga in the living room. One morning I did 500 jumping jacks. I eat breakfast or lunch depending on what time it is and what's in the fridge. I also have some quiet time. Then I empty the dish washer. As I'm putting away the dishes, utensils, pot (we only have one that we use) and pans, I think the same thing every morning: “I'm the housewife, while my roommates have gone off to work.” But interesting... I still have to pay the rent. I continue getting ready for the day, waiting for my daily morning call from Alex. We talk while he makes his 30 minute commute to work. When (if) I get a job, we won't be able to enjoy our morning talk. It's my goal to be ready by the time we hang up, so that I'm out the door by noonish. Yes! What the heck did I do from the time I got up, 9:30ish, until noon?! Goes to show, when you've got time, you sure move at a leisurely pace.
Every day I head somewhere in search of internet. I made a friend who works at home, so I've gone over there once to job search. I guess one good thing about not having internet at home (yup can you believe that?!) is it makes me get out of the house. Or else, I'd probably stay in pjs the whole day. It's my way of getting to explore the city, as I visit new free wifi places. There are so many in the city. Sometimes when I'm lazy and don't want to go deal with the hassle of looking for that new place, I go to one of the five Starbucks near my place. They're just so close. But most of the time, I don't buy something bc those drinks would add up and I'm unemployed! I make sure to switch around the stores that I frequent and hope they don't start recognizing me. Or even worse, conversing with each other. “Hey! Did you see that little Asian on the laptop in the corner? She didn't buy anything again, huh?” “Oh I know! John from store #53 was saying the same thing yesterday. That this girl with this huge PC and huge laptop backpack came in and just camped out.”
It's a funny dilemma because on the previous day, I need to remember to look up the location. If I forget, I obviously can't look it up the morning, at my apartment. I need internet to find internet.
There's a lovely feeling that washes over me when I reach my spot for the day, have my laptop open and the wifi connection is made. Ahhhh...connected with the world. I send out emails to make contacts and follow up with previous emails, I search corporate websites and job websites for postings. I respond to postings, send out resumes, update my resume, write cover letters. I spend about 4-6 hours online. Of course in between that there is chatting, FBing, shopping, recipe hunting, etc.
If I go to the library, some branches close around 5 or 6. If I go to a cafe, I have stayed til 7 or 8. Then I'll head home to make dinner or go out for dinner with people. Other activities I may enjoy include: hang out with someone, go Bhangra dancing (paying tribute to SlumDog Millionare), read a book, watch a video, go to the mid-week church meeting, journal, clean my room, etc. This is what I mean about down time. Gotta love it.
Then....comes the weekend. Yay! That's when other people are also free. I allow myself to take a break job searching, my “job.” I've spent three weekends in NY and they have been soo much fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment