Tuesday, March 3, 2009

2009 A.D.

Feb 23-Mar 3, Week 1

My first Sunday church service was at Trinity Grace (where I also went to their Ash Wed service). It meets at a school. My emotions surprised me, but I found a bit of happiness to walk around a school and see student work on the hallway walls and meet in the auditorium in the uncomfortable student chairs. It was a familiar setting, being that I’ve spent so much time working at schools for the past 7 years.

I’m so grateful that I’ve met a good number of people over this past week. Besides one time, I haven’t really felt alone or bored. If I’ve been home this past week, it was because I consciously decided to and even turned down an invitation to go out. This is actually what I had wanted. About 2-3 weeks prior to leaving LA, I was busy working, hanging out w/ people and preparing for the move. It was so great to make my rounds and see family and friends before I left, but I was thinking, “I can’t wait to get to NY, where I don’t have friends yet. Then I can catch up on sleep, have some down time and read these two books that I got for my birthday (The Choice, by Nicholas Sparks and Three Cups of Tea, by G. Mortenson and D.O. Relin).” Haha, yup I wanted to read my books. Well, sure enough I’m getting my down time.

But I terribly and tearfully miss my family and friends. I miss being with the people I’ve known for these past years. I miss being w/ people that I know and they know me. I miss my girl friends that I pray with. I miss being a good and trusted friend. I miss being a listening ear as friends vent or confide in me. I want to get past the small talk. I want to hang out and laugh and talk about random things. It’s tiring to constantly hold up conversations with new people. You have to attentively listen so that when you see them the next time, you can follow up.

My roommate, Jeananne, 24, has been really great. She drew me a map the first night I arrived. She’s invited me out with her friends and we’ve had some good conversations. Last night we danced to my dinky digital clock am/fm radio. It was Britney Spears’ Circus. Club Jeananda! Oh ohhhh! Of course it doesn’t compare to Club BB, Club 559, Club with DJ KBPhootorious (sorry, what’s your official name?). So yeah, thankfully my roommate doesn’t have a line drawn across our bedroom or has voodoo dolls named Amanda. She doesn’t wear all black and doesn’t glare at me. (What a relief, Dennis!)

Something that I also miss is working out. Running, pilates, lifting weights, etc…such therapeutic exercises. Unfortunately, the few 24 Hour gyms in NY are really far from me. Joining a gym right now is definitely out of the question, with my lack of income. And I’m not running in 20 degrees temps without appropriate cold weather running gear. I like to think of myself as not a wuss, but I’m not about to freeze to death either. Luckily, warmer temps are just around the corner and Central Park is just a few blocks away from me. I can’t wait, Pearly!

My prayer request is for God’s guidance in deciding which church I will attend. My roommates both attend Trinity Grace and most of the people I’ve met are from there too. It feels natural to settle there, but should I, without visiting any other church? It’s such a daunting task to church shop and the longer I shop, the more time passes that I’m not building community.

I can’t say it enough, I miss you guys! I’ve been praying for you guys.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Did you bring your clubbing vest and socks from Club BB? You and your books. Reminds me of your pool side reading in Cancun. Just think. The streets of New York can be your gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I'm so glad to read that you've been meeting alot of people and that your roomie has been so nice. It will probably take awhile to build the friendships towards more familiarity and pass the 'getting to know you' stage, and it's probably overwhelming that you have to do that with everyone. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and I miss you too!!! But I'm glad that you're settling in NYC easily. It's time to start a new chapter of your life. Know that we'll always be here cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete